The importance of washing your hands cannot be overstated, especially during a global pandemic.
In the food service industry, hand washing is of utmost importance. Bacteria and viruses can be transmitted to food through hands. That is why stainless steel hand sinks are necessary equipment every commercial kitchen should have.
The health code requires a sink for washing hands to be placed within 20 feet of every food handling or food prep area in the kitchen. This ensures that there are enough washing stations for all the staff working in the kitchen. This also encourages your staff to always wash up since there is always one close by. Employees do not have to walk far.
There are specific requirements for hand sinks. One of the most important is that it is only for hands only. Food and dishes cannot be washed here. In turn, employees cannot wash their hands in the prep sinks or the warewashing sinks.
Commercial Kitchen Handsinks: What are they?
Stainless steel hand sinks are sinks that are specifically designed and exclusively used for hand cleaning before, during, and after kitchen activities. They are usually located near the designated areas food preparation, serving, and warewashing.
There are many options to choose from when it comes to stainless steel hand sinks. Wall mounted, pedestal base, and cart-type are the most popular installation types.
There are hand sinks with splash guard, foot or knee pedals, waste chutes, and even multi station stainless steel hand washing basins with faucet. You would not run out of choices!
Types Stainless Steel Hand Washing Sinks
- Drop in – It is installed by dropping it into the countertop. The rim or edge of the sink holds it up.
- Freestanding – It is installed on the wall and is supported by a stand or legs. It can be installed anywhere a water line is available.
- Pedestal – It has a lavatory on the top and a vertical pedestal that carries the lavatory’s weight.
- Portable – It has wheels to allow for mobility within the kitchen.
- Wall Mount – It is mounted on the wall which saves space because it does not need a stand, legs, or a pedestal.
Before You Buy
There are several factors to take into account when choosing a sink for washing hands. These considerations include:
- Material – Stainless steel hand washing sinks are the most common because it is the most sanitary.
- Design – Do you want wall mounted stainless steel hand sinks, freestanding, or other installation types?
- Accessories – A hand sink with splash guard, paper towel holder, soap dispensers, etc. are preferrable because they are more convenient.
The biggest lesson people re-learned this year is probably the importance of proper hygiene. In any customer service industry, but most especially in the food and beverage industry, the washing of the hands is of paramount importance. This is why commercial stainless steel hand sinks are an integral part of any kitchen. A hygienic kitchen is a must for cafés, restaurants, bars, food carts, healthcare facilities, community kitchens, or anywhere food is made or distributed.
No products were found matching your selection.